Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fungi Walk!

On Friday afternoon, our Biology class went on a walk to seek out the various types of fungi within Fleetwood Park's forest. Prior to this walk, we learned about many different types of fungi in class, mainly the 5 Phyla: Oomycota (Water Molds), Zygomycota (Common Molds), Ascomycota (Sac Fungi), Basidiomycota (Club Fungi), and Deuteromycota (Imperfect Fungi). To be honest, I didn't think our forest would contain so much fungi, but to my surprise, I was totally proven wrong! There were hundreds of fungi around us! I found a wide array of fungi, including shelf mushrooms, jelly fungi and lichens. I found a really long shelf mushroom along the side of a log. Its astonishing to know that mushrooms could grow so long! Although most fungi were visible to the naked eye, there were some very small orange fungi That I find growing on a branch. I'm unable to identify what it is, but my best guess would probably that it is Basidiomycota. The lesson in class and this fungi walk taught me a lot about the importance of fungi with an ecosystem, and how fungi work. I guess all mushrooms aren't edible after all!






Very tiny orange circular fungi on a tree

Shelf mushrooms and moss on a damp log 
A very long shelf mushroom underneath a log

Some white shelf fungi  

Jelly fungi growing on the end of a log

Tiny reddish fungi on a small branch near the stream

A shelf mushroom underneath a log

Rusts growing on some leaves

1 comment:

  1. Good post Josh. Your connection to the purpose of the activity was good. For the next blog post try to include more classroom information so that we can link the activity to the class discussions. I also like the captions for your photos.
    Prep of blog entry- 4
    Quality of Content-02
    Personal Reflection-3
    Conventions-4
    Requirements- 4

    25/28

    /28

    ReplyDelete